Other fandoms

Re: Other fandoms

Postby heliopause » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:08 am

The Queen's Thief tip duly noted for follow-up, t-e! Thanks!

Yes, agree very much re: NewWho and Classic Who, Marmota. I've caught upon all of Leela, and some of Romana, and think some of them are terrific! What have you been seeing?
I've also just seen all of Firefly, and ... didn't think much of it. :( Cleverish, in that it had some snappy dialogue, but lazy characterisation - just the same old easy Western (ie cowboy show) stereotypes.
heliopause

Postby marmota-b » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:47 am

Everything here and there... I think at this point I've seen some of each of the Doctors, except Five, for some reason. The majority of Three and Liz. Against a lot of the fandom, it seems, I like Liz. With a lot of the fandom, I like Four and Sarah Jane.
marmota-b

Postby the_rck » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:00 pm

Seven will always be my Doctor. Seven and Ace, all the way. I haven't fallen in love with the more recent Doctors in the same way. I keep watching because my husband does, but I've missed some episodes because he watched them while I was doing something else (mostly sleeping). I can tell I don't care much because I have no interest in tracking down the episodes I've missed.

As far as Firefly goes, I've liked some of the fanfic, but I never really got into the show. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm comparing it to Cowboy Bebop and much preferring Bebop.
the_rck

Postby songsmith » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:03 am

Agent Carter. No words, just joy. :D
songsmith

Postby marmota-b » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:39 pm

the_rck wrote:As far as Firefly goes, I've liked some of the fanfic, but I never really got into the show. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm comparing it to Cowboy Bebop and much preferring Bebop.

I guess I've had a similar reaction, although the other way round. I picked up Firefly, watched a few episodes, my sister fell in love with it, sort of appropriated it... and I kind of never needed to come back to it, although I enjoyed it and liked Serenity a lot. And then I came to like Cowboy Bebop quite a bit. I love the music!
marmota-b

Postby transposable_element » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:45 am

Discussion of Zilpha Keatley Snyder's Green Sky fandom rerouted here from "Writerly ambitions":

So...I already have three pieces up on AO3. One of them takes place about 30 years after the events of the trilogy. It's just a few paragraphs long, and I wrote it in memorium Zilpha Keatley Snyder, who died this autumn. That was what got me going on the idea of Green Sky fic.

The other two stories are about the founders of the human colony on Green Sky and the political and ideological conflicts that set up the situation in the book. I decided after I wrote the two "founders" pieces that they were part of a much longer work, so I belatedly locked them, which means you can only look at them if you're registered on AO3. I would really like to get back to that project, but I've promised myself that I will finish two in-progress works first.

If you want to take a look, the stories are here.

I think "Heights" and "Founder Effect" stand on their own, "Pensing" less so. In fact, "Pensing" was what got me going on the idea of a bigger project.
transposable_element

Postby Glenstorm63 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:20 am

Another book that made a big impact for me was The Chrysalids by John Wyndham. As it ended rather abruptly, with unresolved issues, many people have wished for a sequel. The task to write about Rachel and Michael's story has been set in secondary school English literature classes as a creative writing exercise many times but I have never read more than the odd piece that rushes through things in 500 words. So a month or so ago I finally had my first go and have written and posted a first chapter Return to Waknuk. I'm moderately pleased. Again posted on both fanfiction.net and AO3.
Glenstorm63

Previous

Return to General Discussion